Welcome to the English Language Instruction (ELI)!
Schedule: Courses are offered throughout the day and in the evening during Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Most ELI classes meet for a total of 3 credit hours (Academic Track courses) or 45 instructional hours (Continuing Education courses). Academic Track Reading and Writing classes meet for a total of 90 hours/6 credits. Click here for next semester's class schedule.
Registration Process: To register for the ELI, complete the following steps: 1. Complete the College Application: You may complete the college application online or in person, in the ELI Office, Harbor Campus, 710 E. Lombard Street, Room 68. The application processing fee is $10. Please make sure you enter the ELI code (622) under "Special Entry Code." If you are a Maryland Dream Act applicant, click here for detailed instructions.Click here for registration schedule details.
2. Take the LOEP Placement test:The test is administered at the Business and Continuing Education Division (710 E. Lombard St., Room 59.) Schedule your test appointment by calling 410-986-5462, 410-986-5434, or 410-986-5467.
3. If your goal is to study in the ELI Academic Track, you must complete an orientation. Access the ELI Orientation webpages here.
4. Meet with an ELI advisor to select and register for your classes.
Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA):Intermediate level students who plan to continue their education at the college may be eligible to apply for Financial Aid (FAFSA.) To qualify, a student must:
- be a permanent resident or citizen
- have a high school diploma
- meet certain income criteria
- not have earned a bachelor's degree previously
- place at the Intermediate or higher level of proficiency on the LOEP placement test
- declare a major
- register for Academic Track courses
Although Financial Aid recipients are expected to enroll in a degree or certificate program at the College following preparatory ELI study in the Academic Track courses, some students may enroll in credit programs while concurrently studying in the ELI. A student advisor is on staff to assist students with the application process.
International Student Assistance
BCCC can issue I-20’s to eligible students. Persons with F-1 student visas must enroll as full-time students in ELI Academic Track or ELI Continuing Education courses. Persons with other visa types may register on a part-time basis only.
For more information about the application process, click here.
Connect with Us: