Human Resources Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)



1. What is a PAR/SAR?
2. What are the required documents for a PAR/SAR?
3. Why do you require an Organization Chart for a PAR request or SAR?
4. What is a Desk Audit?
5. Why does the Department head need to sign off on a Desk Audit?
6. What is a Reclassification?
7. The Vice President approved my request for a reclassification. Why did the Office of Human Resources deny it?
8. I have a bachelor's degree. Why does my job only require a high school diploma?
9. What is the difference between a job description and a classification specification?
10. Am I/is my employee eligible for acting pay?

6. Can a PIN permanent employee also have a contract for a part-time position with BCCC?
7. Can a contractor have more than one contract? 
General Human Resources



Medical benefits will end on the 15th or 30th/31st of the month you are leaving.
Back to Top

The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) is the administrative process that occurs when a covered participant under the active group health coverage loses coverage because of a certain event, such as termination, ineligible dependent status, etc. When the group health coverage is lost, you can buy back the medical, dental, prescription, or health flexible spending account for a specific period of time at 102% of the premium per month. You have all the same rights as when you were an active employee, i.e., you can participate in Open Enrollment and must abide by the same rules as when you were active such as qualifying events, etc.. Please note that the BCCC HR Office does not process this request. Employee Benefits Division of the State of Maryland processes these requests.
Back to Top

All schools in the University System of Maryland are included in the tuition remission program.  These schools include University of Maryland of Baltimore, University of Maryland at College Park, Bowie State University, Towson University, University of Maryland at the Eastern Shore, Frostburg State University, Coppin State College, University of Baltimore, Salisbury State University, and University of Maryland University College, University of Maryland at Baltimore County, St Mary’s College of Maryland and Morgan State University.
Back to Top

Full time employees may register for no more than two courses not to exceed eight credits per semester.  Dependent of full time employee may enroll on full course load basis.  Generally, if a parallel lower division instructional program is available at BCCC, college employees and their dependents are eligible to take advantage of the provision of this tuition remission benefit at USM institutions only after they have earned the Associate degree or completed 60 hours of transferable credits.
Spouses are not eligible for tuition remission.
Back to Top

You must complete the University Systems of Maryland Request of Tuition remission Form and Affidavit for each institution that you attend.  If you are applying for tuition remission for dependent the same form must be completed.  All dependents up to age 26 are eligible for tuition remission for undergraduate studies.

Once the form is completed with the signature from your supervisor, you must bring it to Human Resources (Liberty West).  The form will be signed the HR Coordinator, scanned and emailed the institution where you are taking classes.  A copy will be email to you for your records.

Yes, BCCC offers tuition reimbursement to employees only. Admission has to be at an accredited Institution.
The tuition waiver only covers Tuition fees only if the grades are C or better. 
Back to Top  
  • Employees complete the application for reimbursement and forward it to Human Resources along with the course description.
  • After the course is complete, employee submits grade along with payment receipt and the expense sheet for reimbursement.

HR will sign and forward the document to Accounts payable for reimbursements.  The amount is deposited in your bank account and normally takes about 30 days from the date of submission.
Back to Top

A PAR is a Personnel Authorization Request Form.  This form initiates any personnel transaction for a position.  A SAR form is similar to the PAR except this form initiates the Search request for a vacant position. 
To initiate the request for a PAR or a SAR the following documents should also be submitted:
  1. PAR/SAR completed from the Department
  2. An Action memo from the VP
  3. A current job description for the position (PAR only: current and previous job description for Acting Capacity, Reclassification or Promotion)
  4. An organization chart (the position must be demonstrated on the chart)
  5. Job application (PAR only: Reclassification, Promotion, or Appointment)
Back to Top

The organization chart or Org Chart, shows the placement of the position within the department (i.e. who the position reports or who reports to the position).  
A Desk Audit is an audit of the incumbent’s current position to determine the correct classification of the position. 
All personnel request need approval from the VP in order to the request to be processed.  The Vice President's signature authorizes the Office of Human Resources to review the position. 
A reclassification review is a process whereby an employee and/or the supervisor or department head initiates a request for a position to be reviewed. To qualify for review, significant and substantial changes must have occurred in the position's primary objectives, duties, and responsibilities. To determine whether changes have occurred in the position, the initiator submits a Personnel Authorization Request (PAR) signed by the Department Vice President as well as the most recent job description (if available) to the Office of Human Resources. Any PAR submitted without the Vice President's signature will be returned to the initiator.
No decision on a reclassification request is made until the Office of Human Resources thoroughly reviews and analyzes the position. The fact that the Department Vice President signed the PAR does not guarantee that the position will be reclassified. The Vice President's signature authorizes the Office of Human Resources to review the position. The decision whether to reclassify your position rests with the analysis performed by the Office of Human Resources’ Compensation and Classification Coordinator. 
Your level of education and what your job requires are two separate things. The educational requirement of your job is based on the knowledge, skills, and abilities required in performing the essential functions of the position. All jobs have minimum requirements. The fact that you have a bachelor's degree does not change the fact that someone with a high school education may adequately perform the essential functions of this particular job. 
Job specification is a generic statement of duties and responsibilities for a job. Each generic job specification should be supported by a detailed job description. While the specification is a summary of job duties applicable to a particular class of jobs, a job description details what an individual job does. 
The policy for acting pay can be found on the company intranet following this path:
  • Policies and Procedures
    • Acting Pay Policy
      • Acting Pay Procedure
Contact the HR Compliance Coordinator in Human Resources at 410-209-6055. 
Contact the HR Compliance Coordinator in Human Resources at 410-209-6055. 
Contact the HR Compliance Coordinator in Human Resources at 410-209-6055. 

No. All new hires must come to HR with all documentation completed by hiring manager and new hire. 
A Contract term is start and end dates of a contract that fall in the time period below January 1 to June 30 and July 1 to December 31. 
Contract salary is determined by Class and Compensation by job duties and industry standards.  Departments cannot make up a salary based on budget available.   
All positions working at the BCCC should have a job description.  A copy of the job description should be given to the employee on their first day of employment and the performance of the position should be clearly communicated and understood by both the supervisor and employee. 
Yes – A secondary employment form must be completed and sign off by departments affected, submitted to HR and signed off on before submitting to payroll. The hours and days cannot overlap.
Back to Top

Yes. The hours and days cannot overlap. 
The contractual employee should have performance standards similar to a PIN position performing the same or similar work.  The performance standard should be communicated to the contractual employee and the employee and supervisor should both sign off on the standards and submitted to HR for the personnel file. 
All advertisements should go through Human Resources. Please contact Ashley Gibbs at
Rehire Packet:
  1. Statement of Understanding (signed by both themselves and the hiring manager)
  2. New payroll forms (W-4 and direct deposit)
  3. New I-9 with two accepted forms of I.D (bring to HR)

Please allow 48 hours at minimum for processing of this paperwork
Back to Top

All contractual hires MUST complete a New Hire Packet.

New hire Packet:

  1. Application
  2. Resume
  3. Job Description (signed off on by contract employee and hiring manager)
  4. Hire letter (from hiring manager)
  5. Statement of Understanding (signed by both themselves and the hiring manager)
  6. Payroll forms (W-4 and direct deposit)
  7. PD Forms
  8. I-9 with two accepted forms of I.D (bring to HR)

New contractual hires will not be processed into the HP LAN (PEACE system) database without a fully completed New Hire Packet. They will also be immediately returned to the hiring manager, or newly hired employee, without being processed if:

  • The “Statement of Understanding” is unsigned by either party
  • There are no accepted I.D.’s present to accompany I-9
  • An incomplete payroll form (W-4)

Acceptable forms of identification with regard to the I-9 can be found on the back of the I-9 document attached to the New Hire Packet; for your convenience, the information can also be found here. Additionally, all materials are due at the time of receipt. Incomplete packets will not be accepted and immediately returned.

New hire packets can be found in the Office of Human Resources. Please allow 48 hours at minimum for processing of new hire paperwork.  

The Office of Human Resources manages the posting of contractual positions on the website. Please contact Ms. Ashley Gibbs at or call her at 410-209-6010 to recruit/advertise for contractual positions. 
Contact your supervisor and Michelle Williams in HR immediately to report injury and for further guidance. 
All employees should go to Concentra. 
All verifications should be faxed over to HR and allow 24-48 hours for completion. 
All employee related issues should come directly to Michelle Williams in HR. 
The first step would be to document your concerns and contact Michelle Williams in HR for direction, if you are a union employee contact your union representative after you have completed step one of grievance process and have met with your supervisor.
Back to Top 

Please refer to your MOU, union representative or Human Resources for guidance.
Back to Top 

Please contact Human Resources for further information in related to your policy concern.
Back to Top 

BCCC has a free emergency text messaging service.  Register through or Stay tuned to your local news and radio channels for updates.
Back to Top 

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a federal law which requires certain employers, including the State of Maryland, to grant job-protected leave to employees who meet FMLA's eligibility requirements. The law entitles eligible employees to an absence of up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave (a covered employer may allow for paid or unpaid leave) in any 12-month period.
To qualify under FMLA, an employee (fulltime or contractual) must have actually worked at least a total of 12 months for the State and at least 1,250-work hours during the preceding 12 months.  An appointing authority may not deny the leave unless its records clearly demonstrate that the employee has not worked the minimum total of 12 months and/or that the employee did not work at least 1,250 hours during the preceding 12 months.
Back to Top 

Eligible employees may take up to 12 workweeks (continuous or intermittent) equal to 480 hours or 60 days) of leave in a 12-month period for one or more of the following reasons:
  • The birth of a son or daughter or placement of a son or daughter with the employee for adoption or foster care;
  • To care for a spouse, son, daughter, or your parent who has a serious health condition; (in-laws are not eligible family members);
  • For a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job; or;
  • For any qualifying exigencies arising out of the fact that a spouse, son, daughter, or parent is a military member on covered active duty or call to covered active duty status.
Back to Top 

At least 30 days in advance or as soon as you know that leave is needed contact the Office of Human Resources for FMLA forms or have your representative contact HR.
Have forms completed by physician and return to HR within 15 days.
Back to Top 

HR will review the submitted documentation and provide approval or denial notice to the employee (via U.S. Postal mail and e-mail) and supervisor (via e-mail) within 3 business days.
Continuous FMLA – is FMLA leave used for the entire period of approved medical leave (non-stop); Intermittent FMLA – is FMLA leave that is broken up into a few days a week or less.
Back to Top 

The 2008 NDAA permitted an employee who is a spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin of a member of the Armed Forces, including a member of the National Guard or Reserves (current service member), to take up to 26 workweeks of military caregiver leave to care for that current service member who is undergoing medical treatment, recuperation, or therapy, is otherwise in outpatient status, or is otherwise on the temporary disability retired list, for a serious injury or illness incurred in the line of duty on active duty. This provision became effective on January 28, 2008.

The 2010 NDAA amended military caregiver leave by expanding the definition of a serious injury or illness of a current service member to include serious injuries or illnesses that existed prior to service and that were aggravated by service in the line of duty on active duty. This provision became effective on October 28, 2009.

Military caregiver leave was also extended to eligible employees whose family members are recent veterans with serious injuries or illnesses incurred or aggravated in the line of duty on active duty, and that manifested before or after the veteran left active duty. This provision became effective with the 2013 FMLA regulations on March 8, 2013.

  • Military caregiver leave, which helps families of covered service members (current service members and certain veterans) with a serious injury or illness by providing up to 26 workweeks of FMLA job-protected leave in a single 12-month period to certain eligible family members to care for the covered service member;
Back to Top 

The 2008 NDAA allowed an employee to take qualifying exigency leave for reasons arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent was on active duty, or had been notified of an impending call or order to active duty, in support of a contingency operation. Under the terms of the 2008 NDAA, qualifying exigency leave was available only to a family member of a military member in the National Guard or Reserves and did not extend to family members of military members in the Regular Armed Forces. This provision became effective on January 16, 2009.

The 2010 NDAA expanded qualifying exigency leave to include eligible employees with a spouse, parent, son or daughter serving in the Regular Armed Forces. Additionally, the military member must now be deployed to a foreign country for an eligible employee to take FMLA leave. This provision became effective on October 28, 2009.

  • Qualifying exigency leave, which helps families of military members in the Regular Armed Forces, as well as the National Guard and Reserves, manage their affairs when the military member is going to be or has been deployed to a foreign country by providing up to 12 workweeks of FMLA job-protected leave in the applicable 12-month leave period to certain eligible family members;
  • An employer may require an employee to submit certification supporting a request for qualifying exigency or military caregiver leave
Back to Top  

Contact Michelle Williams at 410-209-6003 or via e-mail at  

An employee may donate 8 hours of personal leave to the State Employees Leave Bank within the first 60 days of employment in order to become a member of the Leave Bank. All other donations must be made during the open enrollment period. The employee may donate unused annual, personal or sick leave. An employee may only donate sick leave to the extent that the donating employee has a sick leave balance of at least 240 hours after the donation. Membership in the Leave Bank is for 2 years. Leave from the leave bank may be transferred to an employee who has exhausted all forms of annual, sick, personal and compensatory leave because of a serious and prolong medical condition; has submitted all required documentation; has met all leave bank requirements; and has been a member of the Leave Bank for at least 90 days.

To qualify for leave from the Leave Bank, an employee:

  • Must be an active member of the Leave Bank
  • Must have exhausted all forms of annual, sick, personal and compensatory leave
  • Must qualify for the use of sick leave under the requirements of the employee’s personnel system
  • Must not have a record of sick leave abuse (i.e., must not have been on a one-day sick slip restriction within the past two years)
  • Must have received a satisfactory performance rating
  • Must not have been disciplined within the past year
  • Must have a serious and prolonged medical condition
  • Must provide sufficient medical documentation to substantiate absence for the time period covered by the Leave Bank request
  • Must in all likelihood be able to return to work
  • Must have received less than 2,080 hours of leave from the Leave Bank and the Employee-to-Employee Leave Donation Programs
  • Must not have used more than 16 continuous months of leave from the Leave Bank and all other forms of paid leave.

Contact HR for Leave Bank forms (MS 402 and MS 408) or retrieve from your FMLA packet for physician to complete. Submit completed form to leave coordinator in HR (employee must ensure that all required information is completed or documentation will not be submitted to DBM) Leave coordinator will submit completed forms to the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) for review.

No, you do not have to be on FMLA to receive leave from the leave bank. However if the leave request is for a serious health condition, you are encouraged to submit documentation for FMLA.Back to Top   
A letter of approval or denial will be sent to the leave coordinator and employee from DBM. 

Employee to employee leave is leave that is donated to an employee from another State employee. An employee may donate annual, personal and/or sick leave to other employees who have a serious and prolonged medical condition and who have exhausted all their leave.  To use donated leave, it must be needed at the time that the donation is made. (Leave donations may not be held until a later date.)

Submit your request to receive borrowed leave in writing to HR. HR will review your request for eligibility Have the MS 405 completed by the donating employee and submitted to HR.

To qualify to receive Employee-to-Employee leave donations the employee must:

  • Have exhausted all available annual, personal, sick compensatory leave and the floating holiday.
  • Have a personal serious and prolonged medical condition that exists at the time the leave is donated.
  • Have catastrophic illness or injury of a member of the employee’s immediate family for whom the employee is needed to provide direct care. (Catastrophic illness or injury is defined as a condition that is incapacitating or life threatening as certified by a health care provider.  An employee may use leave from another employee to care for a family member only after obtaining approval from the employee’s appointing authority.  The appointing authority’s approval is discretionary and denial may be based on any reason which is consistently applied and is not illegal or unconstitutional.)
  • Qualify for the use of sick leave under the requirements of the employee’s personnel system.
  • Must provide sufficient medical documentation to substantiate absence for the time period covered by the Employee-to-Employee Leave request.
  • In all likelihood be able to return to work.
  • Have received less than 2,080 hours of leave from the Leave Bank and the Employee-to-Employee Leave Donation Programs.
  • Not have used more than 16 continuous months of leave from the Leave Bank, Employee-to-Employee Leave Donation Program and all other forms of paid leave
Back to Top  

For employees donating leave to other employees:

  • Employees may voluntarily donate unused annual, sick or personal leave to another employee.
  • An employee who donates sick leave to another employee must maintain a sick leave balance of at least 240 hours after the donation is deducted.
  • An employee who donates leave shall designate the recipient of the leave.
  • If an employee who receives leave does not use all of the donated leave, the remaining hours of leave shall be automatically transferred to the State Employees’ Leave Bank.
Back to Top 

BCCC encourages faculty and staff to continuously engage in educational and training Opportunities’ that maintain and improve effectiveness; stimulate personal and professional growth; help employees advance to higher level positions; and to enhance morale and job satisfaction.  To accomplish this goal a minimum of 40 hours per fiscal year of professional development is required of all full-time PIN employees. 
Currently, the College is not approving or funding travel outside of the continental U.S.A. 
Back to Top 

Professional Development Council Guidelines are available on the College’s Intranet. Documents include PDC meeting dates, procedure for submitting requests, and a general overview of the approval limitations and requirements.
The professional development policy for adjuncts was developed in 2008 by the Academic Affairs Division. It is a separate document from the College’s professional development policy for full-time faculty and staff. Tracking of adjunct faculty development is handled by the adjunct’s respective department, and not Human Resources. All adjunct faculty are required to complete five hours of professional development each academic year for which they are employed at the College.  
PD hours can be viewed through the WebConnect system through the following address: http://pdhours/webconnect/.  
Please send an email requesting login information to Ms. Lakeisha Brown ( in HR. Once e-mailed please be sure to document login information. 

Funding is not available to adjunct faculty or contractual staff. Only full-time PIN Faculty and staff are eligible to receive payment for conferences and training. Additionally, adjuncts do not receive tuition benefits. Adjuncts may attend any college-wide sponsored training held on campus.

Full-time (PIN) employees may obtain their required 40 hours of training by participating in various programs and activities. Forms of professional development opportunities include but are not limited to:
  • BCCC sponsored workshops and seminars
  • Credit and non-credit coursework
  • External conferences, seminars and forums
  • On-line training (webinars, webcasts, Skillsoft, etc.) Standardized peer reviews such as Quality Matters
  • Involvement in development and/or improvement process sessions such as strategic and operational planning sessions
  • Train-the-trainer sessions
  • Attendance and/or participation on panel discussions
  • Workshop facilitation
  • Participation in formal studies and research
  • Lecture Series (Museums, Libraries, etc.)
  • Affinity group meetings

Documentation of attendance or participation is required for all activities. Forms can be found on the Professional Development Webpage.

Professional Development is NOT:

  • Standard meetings (departmental or divisional)
  • Trips and attendance at social events unless there is a speaker
  • Meals and breaks during conferences and workshops
  • Performing required job duties (teaching, facilitating student or staff workshops)

Back to Top

Supervisors, managers, deans, chairs need to get into the habit of regular feedback (positive and/or constructive) to subordinates during the year. Too many issues are being disclosed when travel requests are submitted or during the year-end evaluation process. 

All applicants are required to submit the required documentation as indicated on the vacancy announcement, which is as follows:
  • Resume/CV,
  • Cover letter,
  • Completed BCCC application
  • Unofficial transcripts

All of these documents are necessary for consideration. All application materials should be emailed as a PDF format to If this is not possible, you may mail or drop off materials in person to the Human Resources Department.

Back to Top

The hiring manager should complete a Search Authorization Requisition (SAR) packet which includes the Search Authorization Requisition and Search Committee Composition forms. The hiring manager should contact Human Resources to complete a job description for the specific job title and staffing needs. The Vice President will approve and the packet is sent to Human Resources-Talent Acquisition Office. A final job description and salary worksheet will be completed by Human Resources and placed with the SAR packet for final approval by the President.
Back to Top 

When applying for a position at the College, we do not require that you send in official transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are accepted. This can be a scanned a copy of your transcript.  You can email the document along with the rest of your application materials. If you do not have a copy on hand and are waiting for it to come in the mail, you may send in the rest of your application materials and make a note in the email that your transcripts are on their way. Please note that for most full-time positions, official transcripts are required upon being hired.
Back to Top 

Once a search is closed, the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are sent to a search committee. The search committee chooses candidates to interview, and out of those candidates, interviews are scheduled with the hiring manager. If a candidate is chosen for the position after a second interview, they will be offered the position. If no one is selected, the search will be reopened. Back to Top 
Back to Top 

The forms are stored on the company Intranet under the "Human Resources" and "HR Forms and Documents".