Cyber Security and Assurance Degree
Program DescriptionThe Cyber Security and Assurance Program at BCCC emphasizes the need to build a wall between our private information and those who seek to exploit it. Recurring events such as virus and worm attacks – and the recent success of online attacks committed by hackers or other cyber criminals – have revealed weaknesses in current information technologies and the need to heighten the security of these critical systems. Students will gain practical experience in understanding threats and dangers, assessing security and analyzing a wide range of businesses, and the steps needed to mitigate these vulnerabilities through state-of-the-art technology. The program prepares students for vendor-specific or commercially available security certification.
Job DescriptionJobs opportunities that are available to students who complete the program are:
- Cyber Security Technician
- Chief Security Operator
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Cyber Security Risk Assessment Support
- Cyber Data Security
- Cyber Security Associate
- Situation Awareness Solutions Support
Career OptionsThe rise in cyber-crimes has outpaced the knowledge base needed to provide required counter measures, and a growing need exists for cyber security careers in this geographic region. Much of the demand is fueled by the growing information technology (IT) industry, which is particularly strong in Maryland, D.C., and Virginia because of the large federal infrastructure including intelligence and the U.S. Department of Defense agencies and related contractors. In fact, Maryland is the national epicenter of federal cyber security activities and is home to:
- The National Security Agency
- The Intelligent Advanced Research Projects Activity
- The National Institute of Standards
- Defense Information Systems Agency Headquarters
- U.S. Cyber Command headquarters
- Department of Defense expansions of the intelligence and communications responsibilities at Fort Meade and
- at Aberdeen Proving Ground through the BRAC initiatives
Skills NeededThe Cyber Security and Assurance professional must have the analytical skills on a wide range of businesses necessary for computer security assessment.
Professor Chima Ugah discusses cyber security and assurance and job possibilities on WBJC.