Emergency Medical Services
About this Program
The Associate of Applied Sciences (A.A.S.) program in Emergency Medical Services will prepare students to be knowledgeable, competent, entry level prehospital care clinicians.
Students who successfully complete the program requirements and attain their National Registered Paramedic certification will be prepared to enter the workforce, providing advanced level emergency medical care in areas such as fire and emergency services agencies (paid or volunteer), federal government installations, Police departments, medical facilities, or places requiring emergency medical services.
Although this program allows students to enter immediately into the workforce, it is designed to prepare students seeking a baccalaureate degree.
In this program you will participate in cognitive, psychomotor, and affective training in the classroom, lab, hospitals, and on a transport unit emergency and non-emergency as an intern.
By the end of the program, you will have the qualities skills and knowledge to pass National Registry and become certified as a Paramedic.
All students must complete the college’s general education requirements to receive the Associate of Applied Sciences (A.A.S.) in Emergency Medical Services degree. The suggested educational pathway will provide more information. All students must fill out the application and be reviewed by the program coordinator before program entry.BCCC Paramedic Program Outcomes/3 Year Data
BCCC pass rates for the National Registry exam of Emergency Medical Technicians/ PARAMEDIC LEVEL:
National pass rates for the National Registry exam of Emergency Medical Technicians/PARAMEDIC LEVEL:
Calendar year 2019
# of students attempting
1st attempt passing
There were no graduates during the 2020 reporting year.
Skills You Will Learn
A Paramedic CRT is responsible for tasks such as:
- Driving an ambulance to medical emergencies and administering prescribed medical treatment at the site of the emergency or in a specially equipped vehicle.
- Transporting sick and injured persons and providing emotional support
- Conducting or assisting in emergency activities at the scene of an accident, illness or disaster
- Responds to medical emergencies and administering prescribed medical treatment to sick and injured persons at the site of emergency or in a specially equipped vehicle.
- Administring oxygen or intravenous therapy, medications, defibrillation procedures, acquiring, interpreting, and transmitting electrocardiograms and artificial resuscitation. Applying splints to broken bones, controlling hemorrhages, treating minor wounds or abrasions or other procedures as required.
Paramedic CRTs work rotating shifts including nights, weekends and holidays. Work is performed at scenes where there is exposure to hazardous situations and emotionally traumatic events. This work requires strenuous physical activity such as lifting, climbing and bending.
A Paramedic CRT works at the scene of medical emergencies, major traffic and other accidents, natural and man-made disasters where there is exposure to hazardous situations and emotionally traumatic events. Paramedic CRTs find jobs with:
- Fire and rescue organizations
- Private ambulance companies
- Health care agencies
Learn more about national and state employment trends and wage data on the Bureau of Labor Statistics website www.bls.gov under overview of BLS wage data by area and occupation.
The Baltimore City Community College EMS Paramedic program is an approved Emergency Medical Services educational program endorsed by Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems (MIEMSS).
The Baltimore City Community College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
9355 - 113th St. N, #7709
Seminole, FL 33775
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088