Biotechnology Lab Certificate
The Biotechnology Lab Certificate is a certificate option of the Biotechnology Program. This comprehensive program ensures theoretical and practical training in concepts and instrumentation relevant to biotechnology.
The Biotechnology Lab Certificate is intended to prepare students for immediate employment in the biotechnology field as laboratory technicians, laboratory assistants and other entry-level positions. Certificate holders may find employment opportunities in academic or industrial research laboratories, and biopharmaceutical production facilities.
- The students entering this program do not have to take accuplacer exam to do the courses in this program.
- Students must meet the college computer literacy requirements in order to complete the certificate.
- The LSS courses in the program are non-transferable to Associate and other higher degrees.
Career Options and Occupation Outlook
The Biotechnology Lab Certificate is a career program intended to prepare students for immediate employment in the biotechnology field as laboratory technicians, laboratory assistants and other entry-level positions such as environmental technician, autopsy technician, material handler, bioproduction or biomanufacturing worker.
These jobs may be available in university research labs, biotech and biomanufacturing companies as well as government agency labs.
As per U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (US Department of Labor) employment of biology lab technicians is expected to grow 14 percent from 2010 to 2020.
 Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition
The Biotechnology Lab Certificate (M405) holders may find employment opportunities in academic or industrial research laboratories, and biopharmaceutical production facilities as:
- Laboratory technician assistant
- Laboratory technician
- Laboratory support worker
- Environmental technician
- Autopsy technician
- Material handler
- Bioproduction worker
- Biomanufacturing worker.
- The biotechnology laboratory technicians or assistants are expected to set up, operate, and maintain laboratory instruments and equipment, monitor experiments, make observations, and calculate and record results.
- They may be required to analyze organic substances, such as blood, food, and drugs.
- They may be involved in biomanufacturing, quality control and quality assurance.