Lab Animal Science Certificate
The Lab Animal Science Certificate is a certificate option of the Biotechnology Program. The Lab Animal Science Certificate is designed to train students to be lab animal care and handling technicians or assistants.
The Lab Animal science Certificate is intended to prepare students for immediate employment as lab animal care and handling technicians or assistants. Certificate holders may find employment opportunities in academic or industrial research laboratories that maintain and/or use animal models for scientific studies and/or drug development.
- The students entering this program do not have to take accuplacer exam to do courses in this program.
- Students must meet the college computer literacy requirements in order to complete the certificate.
- The LSS courses in the program are non-transferable to Associate and other higher degrees.
Career Options and Occupation Outlook
The students graduating with lab animal sciences certificate will be ready for immediate employment as animal lab technicians or assistants to service the workforce needs of the life sciences corporations in the greater Baltimore area.As per U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (US Department of Labor) employment of laboratory animal caretakers is expected to grow 14 percent from 2010 to 2020 (1).Employers in this career area recommend the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science certification for those seeking employment in a research facility. https://www.aalas.org1. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/veterinary-assistants-and-laboratory-animal-caretakers.htm
Lab animal care and handling technicians/assistants’ responsibilities may include:
- Cleaning, changing and disinfecting cages and work areas, and sterilize laboratory and surgical equipment;
- Feeding, watering, and examining laboratory animals for signs of illness, disease, or injury in laboratories;
- Provide routine post-operative care, administer medication orally or topically, or prepare samples for laboratory examination under the supervision of veterinary or laboratory animal technologists or technicians, veterinarians.
The Animal Lab Science Certificate (M404) holders may find employment opportunities in academic or industrial research laboratories working with laboratory animals as:
- Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician
- Laboratory Animal Technician
- Animal Care Technician
- Animal Husbandry technician
- Animal Caretaker
- Animal Facility Assistant