Legal Assistant Program Learning Outcomes
Legal Concepts and Terminology
- Distinguish between civil and criminal law.
- Use appropriate legal terms.
- Explain the characteristics of the state and federal court systems.
Research and Communication
- Use research and summary skills to develop a case brief.
- Use knowledge of diversity and human relations in teamwork and communication.
- Research employment opportunities; prepare an effective employment package, including resume, and present oneself positively in a job interview.
- Use effective personal, interpersonal, time and project management skills required in the legal profession.
- Adhere to professional and ethical standards appropriate to the legal profession.
Practical Office Skills
- Prepare a variety of legal documents, including correspondence, pleadings, charges, and tables from rough draft, transcription, forms, and boilerplate language.
- Use computer hardware and software, especially the basic Microsoft Office software applications, to complete office tasks.
- Perform mathematical operations applicable to the legal office field, such as calculating time and billing reports.
- Prioritize, anticipate, and analyze problems; evaluate and implement solutions.