What is Counseling?
Mental health counseling is a tool to help improve emotional, psychological, behavioral and social well-being. Positive mental health is a sense of comfort that improves various aspects of life.
Some mental health concerns Student Support and Wellness Services help students address include:
- Life planning and decision making
- Grief and loss
- Identity development (sexual orientation, race, class, gender, ability)
- Family problems
- Self-harm and suicidal behavior or thoughts
- Alcohol and drug related problems
- Physical or sexual abuse issues
- Attention and focus difficulties
- Self-esteem and confidence
Students decide what they wish to focus on in counseling and collaborate with the counselor to develop goals to enhance their experience at BCCC and within other areas of the student’s life.