Maryland Residency Verification
How do I determine my residence status for instate tuition?The following statement reflects the College’s policy on residence as set by Baltimore City Community College in conformance with the Maryland Higher Education Commission General Regulations. All students are required to submit a BCCC Maryland Residency Form. (Save the completed form to your device then email)
You may submit your completed Maryland Residency Verification with required documentation form by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 410-462-8345, by mail or in-person to the Admissions Office, Student Affairs Wing, Main Building Room 02, 2901 Liberty Heights Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215.There are two tuition rates, one for State of Maryland residents and one for out-of-state and foreign non-immigrant residents. A person is considered a State resident who has the legal ability under federal and Maryland law to to live permanent without interruption in Maryland and who has been domiciled in Maryland for not less than three consecutive months prior to enrollment. Domicile means a person's permanent place of residence where physical presence and possessions are maintained and where the person intends to remain indefinitely.Additionally, the domicile of any student who received more than one-half of his or her financial support from others within the last 12 months is the domicile of the person contributing the greatest portion of support, without regard to whether the parties are related by blood or marriage and without regard to student’s current address. A student under the age of 18 years of age may claim his/her residence as that of his/her parents or legal guardians.
Students are required to sign a statement verifying their residency claims.The burden of proof of domicile is upon the student who provided the documentation which substantiates his/her claim.Examples of such documentation are given below:
- Valid Maryland driver’s license with local address specified (proof of address change may be required)
- Valid Motor vehicle registration showing the local state or county address
- Valid mortgage statement or lease agreement showing ownership or rental of local living quarters (notarized letters of residency or mortgage statements for investment properties are unacceptable)
- Proof of payment of Maryland State or local income taxes (must present a certified copy, which you can order here or visit the Maryland Comptroller of the Treasury Office at 301 West Preston Street, Baltimore, MD.
- Registration to vote in the state of Maryland.
- Proof graduation from a Maryland high school within the academic year of enrollment at the College.
A foreign national admitted to the United States as a temporary student or on a non-immigrant visa may not be considered a resident.
However, some undocumented non-immigrants may qualify for instate tuition under the Maryland Dream Act or the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), evidence of Immigration status must be submitted to the Admissions Office.
Holders of the following visas do not qualify for instate tuition: B, C, D, F, H-2, H-3, J, M, O-2, P and Q.For information on other visa categories contact the Admissions Office, Liberty Campus, Student Affairs Building, Room MNB 02 or call 410-462-8300.
Any international student whose residence status is unclear may contact the Admissions Office. Proof of legal United States Citizenship and Immigration Visa Status is required to receive instate tuition.