BCCC is both an old and a young institution. The College was founded in 1947, as Baltimore Junior College, a part of the Baltimore City Public Schools. Its mission was to provide post high school education for returning World War II veterans.
In 1967, the College was renamed Community College of Baltimore and restructured as a department of the City of Baltimore. In the 1980s, shrinking resources made it difficult for the City to continue operating a quality institution of higher education.
As a result, on July 1, 1990, the Maryland General Assembly created a new institution, New Community College of Baltimore, funded by the State of Maryland. The College was granted permanent state status in 1992 and renamed Baltimore City Community College.