Academic Grade Grievance Process

  • A student who has sufficient evidence that their grades have not been determined in accordance with the terms set out in the instructor’s syllabus/Course outline/course policy may seek resolution through the grievance process. In filing an academic grievance, a student must take the following steps:
    1. Attempt to resolve the matter with the instructor in a face-to-face meeting.

    2. If the student is dissatisfied with the decision ren- dered by the instructor, he or she will obtain a Student Grade Grievance Form (Form A) from the respective department administrative assistance, complete, and submit to the instructor. This form should spell out  the exact nature of the complaint and the remedy sought. The instructor will be asked to provide the grade recorded for the student and provide sign off on Form A.
    3. Cases filed after faculty contracts end in May, are processed as soon as the instructor can be contacted and scheduled for a hearing, which usually occurs during the next full (fall/spring) semester. A grade grievance must be filed no later than 30 days after the end of the semester in which the class was taken. The entire grade grievance process must be completed typically within one year of the original filing. Students will be required to submit the following information to complete their grade grievance file:

    • Course Syllabus/Course outline/Course policy
    • All work in question
    • A written explanation as to the nature of the grade grievance
    4. The Chair of the Grievance Committee (Dean of Academic Operations and Services) will review both the student’s documentation and the explanation of the instructor. If  there is sufficient evidence to warrant a grievance, the paperwork will be forwarded to the Department Associate Dean, typically within five (5) business days. The Department Associate Dean will attempt to mediate a resolution between the instructor and the student. If a resolution is reached that warrants a grade change, the instructor will submit a grade change form to the Office of Records and Registration within five (5) business days after the decision to change the grade has been made.
    5. If no resolution is reached from the meeting with the Department Associate Dean, the student may request the matter be taken to the appropriate Academic Program Dean, typically within five (5) business days. The Academic Dean will attempt to mediate a resolution between the instructor and the student. If a resolution is reached that warrants a grade change, the instructor will submit a grade change form to  the Office of Records and Registration within five (5) business days after the decision to change the grade has been made. 
    6. If no resolution is accomplished with the Academic Dean, the Student Grade Grievance Form (Form A) will be forwarded to the Grade Grievance Review Committee (GGRC) for further processing. At this point, the Chair of the Grade Grievance Review Committee (GGRC) will assist the student with submitting a Student Grade Grievance Form (Form B), requesting a review by the GGRC. The GGRC will be made up of Chair of the GGRC, two (2) faculty and two (2) students. The Senate Executive Committee President will select the two (2) faculty members. The President of the Student Governance Association (SGA) will recommend the two (2) students.
    7. If the GGRC accepts the grievance, the student will appear for a hearing before the IMAC, which will conduct a grade grievance hearing (see Article 6.6.5). The IMAC must make a recommendation to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Vice President for Academic Affairs will make the final disposition of the grievance.  
    8. If the Grade Grievance Review Committee rejects a student’s grievance, the student will receive written justification for the decision from the Committee chair within five (5) business days. The decision rendered by the Committee represents the final disposition of this process. 
    9. The Vice President for Academic Affairs will be the College official designated to resolve and decide student grievances concerning academic and curricularis is issues. 

Operating Rules

  • The grievance procedure is designed to offer due process and bring substantial justice within the context of the College community. It is not a court of law and professional lawyers shall not be involved in the process. A resolution and/or decision agent may seek legal advice from the General Counsel’s office, through the Executive Assistant to the President


    The Committee will be the highest officially designated recommending agent for resolving and deciding student grievances concerning academic and curricular issues. The Committee will be a year-long standing committee with the following members:
         a. One administrator (and one alternate), designated by the College President, who will be the Chairperson of the Committee.
         b. Two students (and two alternates), designated by the Student Government Association (SGA).
         c. Two faculty (and two alternates), designated by the Faculty Senate Executive Committee.
    Each party may have an advocate and two witnesses at the hearing. The committee may call its own witnesses. The Committee will decide whether witnesses shall be present for the entire proceedings.
    The Chairperson will identify, for the record, all persons present their roles, and present the case, giving the point of view of both sides. Each party will be allowed to elaborate specifically and concisely. Committee members may ask specific questions to gain concise answers from either party until the committee feels it has enough relevant information to make a decision.
    The Committee will call an executive session (unrecorded) to discuss the information and render a decision before calling back participants to receive the oral decision. The oral decision will be tape recorded, will give reasons for the decision, and will specifically state any redress to be taken, if any.
    The Chairperson will, on the next working day, put the Committee’s decision in writing to the Vice Presidents for Student Affairs and Academic Affairs and the President. Copies will go to all parties involved. The Chairperson of the Committee will forward the hearing tapes to the Coordinators of Student Life Department, who will be responsible for housing all case related materials.
Last Modified on July 6, 2020