Students are expected to complete their programs through the normal schedule of courses. However, students in their last term are permitted to apply for required courses as Independent Study, provided that all the following conditions have been met:
1. The student is in their last term.
2. The course is required by the student to complete a degree or certificate program.
3. The course is not being offered on the term schedule, or the time of the course conflicts with another course the student needs to take.
4. No appropriate course substitution can be found.
5. The Independent Study is approved by the Academic Program Dean and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Each application of Independent Study will be carefully reviewed and approved by the Academic Associate Dean, Dean, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Students are advised, however, that the College is under no obligation to provide this option. When the Independent Study is approved, the student will meet with the faculty assigned on a weekly basis. A course taken as Independent Study will cover the same content as the regularly scheduled course and have the same requirements and evaluation as outlined in the course syllabus.
A student in his/her last semester may earn credit independent of a classroom setting for a specific course described in this Catalog when the course is not offered in the semester schedule but is required in order to complete a degree or certificate program.
Note: The College is under no obligation to provide this option.